Please be prepared to discuss these questions in class.
- What did Mao think that the function of literature and art should be?
- Whom did he think art and literature should serve?
- What do Mao's ideas about the relationship of art and action have in common with Nie Er's?
- How did Mao define "the masses"?
- What did he think specialists in music should do to further revolutionary aims?
- What kinds of music-making were forbidden during the Cultural Revolution? Why?
- What were the eight "model works"?